Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The things I'll miss most about NYC & the U.S.

Brooklyn Bridge from South Street Seaport  |  The things I'll miss most about NYC & the U.S. on afeathery*nest  |  http://afeatherynest.blogspot.com
{  South Street Seaport, my NYC neighborhood for the last 7 years  |  October 2007  }
What I'll miss about NYC
+ The scent of roasted nuts from street vendors on a crisp fall day—especially after emerging from the subway (I've never eaten them, I just snuffle up the smell).

+ Knowing I can get any kind of cuisine I want at (almost) any time of day.

+ Decent $20 manicure/pedicures with invigorating massage chairs.

+ Open mindedness (granted, Sweden is pretty good at this, but from what I can gather, it's a little more accepted in theory than in practice).

+ Jaywalking with abandon.

+ The glorious local bounty of FreshDirect.

+ The West Village—a charming neighborhood with windy streets upon which, despite how long I've lived here, I always think I'm going one way, but almost always turns out that I'm going the exact opposite way. I love how the neighborhood is filed with small, intimate restaurants like Alta that make you forget you're in a high-octave city. From the walk down cobblestoned streets with an arch of leafy boughs above, passing proper family homes with mantles and hall closets, to the staircase winding up to tables snuggled close together, it's all lovely and dreamy. The exact opposite of mega-chain restaurants that seem as big and loud and chaotic and homogeneous as a cruise ship.


What I'll miss about the U.S.
+ Customer service! 30-Day return policies! Free shipping!

+ Stores open in the evening and on weekends.

+ Soft towels and dryers that keep them nice and fluffy.

+ The general optimism, hopefulness, ambition/drive of Americans.

+ A welcoming and friendly nature. Small niceties: saying "hello, how are you" throughout the day–and people genuinely inquiring, or at least making polite small talk; saying, "excuse me" when you bump into someone; holding doors open so that people behind you can pass through  (doesn't really exist in Sweden).

One year agoSo worth it

6 comments :

  1. you really dont realize these little things when you have it right? In Nepal, I struggle a lot with customer service (there is none).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! I think the customer service thing is going to be HUGE.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see what these miss/won't miss lists look like after you've spent some time there as a resident! Yea compared to most countries, they don't always have these kinds of "mostly always on" conveniences...but i think that's also what drives the "live to work" mentality anyway. It's amazing how easily people can get used to not having certain "conveniences" oh like electricity... or running water...except for certain times of the day. Although you might not be dealing with that kind of situation in Sweden... I don't think it will pale in comparison to the positives you will see. However, the food variety... that is definitely one good reason... to maintain your travels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there'll be lots of changes to the lists once I'm on the other side! :)

      Totally agreed re: drivers of "always on" mentality. Maybe I'll like that aspect...(i.e., being off, even though that seems like such a foreign concept to me now).

      Have been "stocking up", so to speak, on Mexican the last few weeks. Stockholm seems to have Asian and European covered, but Mexican, Latin, and South American cuisines seem less present. Regardless, Stockholm certainly has more than Sicily (another reason why I opted for north!), and I can't compare any city really to NYC when it comes to food, so no use trying!

      Xx.

      Delete
  3. hmmm yeah i think you're totally aware of what you're stepping into :) though i'm not sure about cozy restaurants, I thought sweden was KING of cozy restaurants??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweden may be (and Gamla Stan in Stockholm definitely is jam-packed with charming cozy restaurants), but doesn't mean I still won't miss the quaintness of the West Village! :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note!

XOXO,
J.